Saturday, August 20, 2011

Welcome to THE SEMINAR

Fall semester, 2011, marks the beginning of the final two semesters of your undergraduate careers. There will be many things to discuss, consider, and act on in the course of this seminar. Unfortunately, though, the actual time we'll have together is very short, 50 minutes twice a week. That's hardly enough time to actually be a seminar, so we'll be utilizing this forum a lot. Each of you have been authorized to post on this site, and after signing up to become a "Follower", each of you can also respond to and contribute to each others posts through discussions. Many of you have been 'followers' of my other three blogs, Intalyo, Images and Ideas, and IUSARTCAR, so you know how easy it is to maneuver in this arena. So get on board and let the semester begin.

You'll be doing some writing this semester, such as constructing a resume and creating an artist's statement about your work; you'll learn how to document your creative work in a workshop with Jonathon Ruth; you'll create a PowerPoint presentation about your work to present to the rest of the group; you'll create a collaborative project, a tradition with past seminars, such as a group exhibit in an alternative space, or a site-specific installation, an artcar, stop action video, performance...lots of options. There will also be a post-test of essential vocabulary. Remember, you did the pre-test back when you entered the program. Finally, you'll submit a CD that contains examples of your work, your resume, and your artist's statement. It's going to be a busy semester!

Enjoy the final morsels of summer and I'll see you on August 30.

6 comments:

  1. I'm excited about this class... for some reason my past years at IUS has felt a little stagnant, like I was just falling into a routine of attending class after class, semester after semester... but this class to me is almost like a landmark... a rite of passage if you will... and I feel like I can finally see the light at the end of that loooong tunnel that is my college experience. =) Looking forward to seeing everyone soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely stated, Fran. It is a rite of passage, looking back and assessing all of your accomplishments and experiences, and I hope having some new ones. This will be a kind of free-form seminar that we will essentially plan tomorrow during our first meeting. As professionals, we'll have a lot to look at and discuss. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm feeling a bit stumped on this and not quite knowing what to expect. As I thought of all that are in the class we all have such diverse talents that I know we can come up with something amazing for a group project, but for the life of me I can't figure what could showcase all of our talents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The project doesn't necessarily have to showcase individual talents, it can showcase your collective talents. Individual talents would likely be int he form of an exhibition, which is very doable. Your collective talents would be like when the seminar did the collaborative work on the artcar. The one talent you all have in common is your creativity, the abilities and skills to create something out of nothing. Like I said, you can revisit past projects, or create something that is totally new that can be added to the tradition of the seminar group project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know that I like the idea of doing projects that others have done. But, I would like it to have some level of permanence. The art car has that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I think showcase was a poor choice for a word. I guess I was more thinking that if there's a level of permanence to it there should be some part from each of us reflected in some way.

    ReplyDelete