Friday, October 14, 2011

Yesterday's gathering


We started to detail the necessary items for both the preparation of the space as well as the installation and opening reception. They are listed below, please indicate what items you can contribute and/or obtain for our purposes. I have indicated the ones that have volunteers.

1. Rollers/refills (we can purchase these, but if you have a roller pan and roller handles, please sign up for those. I can bring a pan and roller handle.)

2. Floor covering (Rosin paper seems to be the materials that is discussed most, but we should test it to see if it will satisfy our needs. Shawn has some at his home; can you bring it to seminar on Tuesday?)

3. Brushes (we'll need a few for cutting in and some detail work. I can bring in a few.)

4. Pedestals (can someone check with Brian Harper to see if we can borrow some from the gallery for the week-long run of the exhibit?)

5. Black duct tape (used for closing seams on floor covering and creating a repetition of the ceiling grid.

6. Staple guns/staples (does anyone have a staple gun? I can bring in one.)

7. Table cloths (it would be better to bring in such rather than purchasing. I can bring in a few, but we'll need a few more I'm sure.)

8. Plates/cups/utensils, and serving platters (we can purchase these as we get closer to the event, if need be.)

9. Small can of black flat paint and a few cans of black spray paint (used to touch up details after removing ceiling tiles. We can purchase later. In fact, there are many items that we can get at Home Depot in one fell swoop.)

10. Card tables, or some kind of easily transportable tables (so that folks can take a break and have a place to set down their refreshments. Randilyn will have guest who will be signing, so they will definitely need to set their things down in order to do so.)

11. Chairs (can't get them from the university, they are only for on-campus events. I have four folding chairs I can bring, who else can bring some in?)

12. Sandwich board (who can make a sandwich board to set out front on the side walk announcing the event?)

13. Vinyl letters (Zhalda and Katie have taken on the responsibility of organizing this feature: the title of the show and the names or all participants that can be applied to the front window. Check with Donna Stallard to see who she used for the gallery, she can get us a discount.)

14. Black extension cords (we'll likely need several given the scarcity of outlets at Preston's. Need to check on the electrical load of clamp on lights)

15. Step ladders (Shawn has volunteers two, but a few more might not be a bad idea.)

16. Food (I think we can get this covered by pitching in a little kitchen duty, Sam's club, local restaurants. What can you bring to the party?

17. A large hot-beverage server and a few hot food chaffing dishes with sterno ( November 19 might be a chilly evening, so we'll want to have something warm to serve guests.)

So there's what we came up with. I'm sure we can add to the list as the date gets closer. Since there seems to be a local shortage of clam on lights, do any of you have any that you can donate for the week of the show? Or, do we have any other ideas for lighting?

33 comments:

  1. I just wrote to Brian Harper about the pedestals and copied you on Facebook. He's a regular there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as serving platters/chargers I have several nice ceramic ones from when I got married. They are stoneware. Would you mind if I reference the potter that made them on Facebook? He and his wife are struggling artists as well and a personal friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.thehardwarecity.com/products/E-245-Incandescent-Clamp-Light/0001057

    Brian, I don't know if anyone else needs the clamp lights, but I wouldn't mind getting a couple to take with me. This place has them on sale for $5 each. What if we pool an order and see if we can save on shipping...

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least 2 large chargers/trays. There may be a 3rd. I'll have to get in that closet this week. But I can commit to at least 2. I also have 2 very nice wooden bread bowls for putting things in.

    Sorry, we don't have the staple gun I thought we had.

    I have several tables. I have 2 nice painted wood tables. I have a metal table that opens easily. It will need a table cloth as it's not 'attractive' and an additional card table. I know I have 4 folding chairs. We'll have to clean them up a bit. They've been in the garage.

    I'll go through the garage and confirm the large coffee maker and the punch bowl tomorrow when the kids can help me.

    I know we also have some paint trays and rollers and brushes. I'll have to see exactly what. We painted the bathroom last year and we bought those then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We checked what we could so far. I definitely have the 4 chairs. The card table I'll have to clean up, but with a table cloth it should be fine if it's scruffy. The metal table will last till I'm in my grave. That's just under a bit bigger than a card table and would need a table cloth.

    I know I have at least two rollers and one extension for a roller. I think I have at least one pan but I can't get up and I'll have to have Emily's boyfriend check for me.

    Pit said he remembers seeing the punch bowl before so that should be up high. But we couldn't get up there ourselves. He doesn't remember the coffee pot. But it could be in a box and he wouldn't have noticed it. I should know by tomorrow or Monday at the latest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let's make sure everything looks nice for the event. This is not a potluck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The platters and bowls are quite nice and hand crafted items. http://artifacts.brigandsfolie.com/ I have bowls and chargers that are like the stoneware in the image: Platters - leaf & vine. I registered with them when we got married as we are quite good friends with them and I have quite a collection from them for serving. The bread bowls are both hand carved from high quality woods and are very nice and large enough to hold quite a bit. They would be perfect for breads or crackers or chips.

    I wouldn't bring in anything that made it look like it was potluck.

    The chairs and card table are just dusty and need to be cleaned off. The metal one is a serving table and needs a table cloth to make it look festive.

    I don't think if we're all bringing tables from home or chairs that they could possibly all match. We'll need to use table clothes to tie them together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you want me to I can ask if they would loan pieces for the event. If they do I would like to give them a plug. They are very good personal friends of mine and if they have the work they'll put it out there for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. By the way, this is what a wooden bread bowl looks like. In fact, one of mine is even very close in color to this bowl. The other is even larger and a bit lighter in color.

    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4108/4962661650_16a039f037.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  11. I should be able to borrow a staple gun and compressed air tank from my dad as well as a step ladder or longer ladder if needed. From my mom I should be able to borrow a card table or two but they will both need table cloths as they are a little worn. I believe she also has at least one chafing dish. I will check with both of them and have an answer by Tuesday. I would be happy to make sandwich board if we can pay for the materials out of our budget (I'm broke). And speaking of our budget, I will gladly pick up whatever else we need to purchase if I can borrow the card (which will be protected with my life if need be.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. RE: clamp ons. That's a good idea, Connie, if anyone wants to purchase a few maybe we could make an order. However, there is no mechanism in place for reimbursement. What we could do, for example, if you wanted two clamp ons for $10.00, you contribute that much to the food/beverage bill, and then after the exhibit, I'll give you two of the lights that I pay for out of the budget.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Connie, since you are the one most versed on the particulars of the reception, could you take charge of that part? Make a list of what folks will be responsible for bringing, such as dishes, utensils, cups, food items, all the necessary things to have an impressive event.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not a problem. :) And I wouldn't mind having extra lights here. I don't know about the rest of you but I can see myself using something like that post graduation to light work for photos and things.

    Put me in for 4 lights Brian.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just so you all know I wrote to Jay and Tracy to see if they will loan us ample stoneware to present the food in an attractive fashion. I'll let you all know what they say. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. my mom has a nice long white table but i'll have to ask her if i'd borrow hers first. i think my dad has some plywood scraps but they are big enough to make a sandwich stand but again i'll ask him if he'd make one for me. :) if he could, would you want me to paint with chalkboard paint and write the event on it or just print the event on paper and stick it on the stand?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wouldn't use the chalkboard because where they put them out there in the photos it would be exposed to the elements. The chalk would wash off.

    ReplyDelete
  18. so then u'd want me to print and laminate the paper then glue it onto the stand?

    ReplyDelete
  19. How about painting it? With all kinds of sparkles and bright colors? Something that would catch attention.

    ReplyDelete
  20. See the sandwich board image I've added to this post, something that has some pizzazz!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Paint works! Acrylic would stay put even if it rains.

    ReplyDelete
  22. We went through the garage and I can't find the large coffee pot for hot beverages. I did find the punch bowl set and I'll get some punch fixings. My Mom had a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cheap Lamps at Walmart. We can order and have delivered to the store. Clamp Lights

    ReplyDelete
  24. If they are still on sale when we order they were $5 at the one link I shared Shawn.

    ReplyDelete
  25. OH! Just a thought... Check Sam's Club! If Walmart has them Sam's might. If they do they might be even less. And they will ship them directly to me for free.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I checked and they don't have them.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Walmart would be cheaper then. I calculated it out and the sale price dividing the shipping would bring them to over $7.00.

    I'm still in for 4 that I'll apply to the food / cash budget Brian.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I looked at the rosin paper in Home Depot. It seems very thin compared to what I have used. I'm wondering if we shouldn't just rent one of the big steam cleaners from Kroger for $30.

    ReplyDelete
  29. That doesn't resolve the color though.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Brian, the update I sent is off this thread. I think a couple more mentioned that they had rollers in the meeting. And I didn't see some things like all the tables being confirmed yet.

    I also didn't hear brushes mentioned. The rollers are what I personally have and I have one brand new tarp at our disposal but I don't have a size on it.

    ReplyDelete